Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Contribution of My Life

One person that I can say has had an extraordinary contribution to the individual I am is my mother. Through many of the experiences that I have had in my life, I have come to realize that she has been a major part of them. Although sometimes I wonder if I am too much like her, I also wonder how much more I could do to be just like her.

I remember one time in particular, when I was trying to fill out some applications during my senior year of high school. I sat up all night working on personal statements and application materials. As I was on the verge of a mental breakdown, she calmly helped complete all my materials and showed me better ways to deal with my stress, like breathing and simply just walking away from a task sometimes. Since that night, I have never been that stressed out and I have been able to accomplish a lot more because of that. This experience definitely contributed to the person that I am today.

I know that no one is perfect, but as far as being a mother she, to me, is the closest that as one person could be. She has gone above and beyond to help me become the best person that I can be and has taught me many things over the course of my short time here. I still learn a lot from her and I don't see that changing any time soon.

One thing that I can say has really contributed to the person that I am today is education in general. I have always loved going to school and being in my classes, discussing topics with my teachers and peers. It is also what my career will revolve around. I believe that education is such an important tool for well-being as a whole and I just love to see the aha moments and smiles that come from someone figuring something out that they'll never forget. That is worth every minute that I spend helping someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment